Monday, April 12, 2010

What to do today?

I woke up this morning and didn't really know what I wanted to do. I was on Facebook looking at everyone's status and saw my sister in law's, sister in laws status that she had a yummy little contest for her photography blog michellepetersonphotography.blogspot.com (If you are confused my sister in law Kristin has a sister in law Michelle) I went to look at it, and unfortunately I don't live in Cali, but I saw the cute cakes and I thought...hmmm......wouldn't it be awesome if I could make a cake like that and do fondant on it and feel like I was a master baker and cake decorator?
First things first, I had to find a recipe for fondant. Thank you www.piece-a-cake.com I found 3 different recipes for fondant and decided to try the first one. I didn't have 16 oz of marshmallows though, but I did have 10 oz so I figured out that a little over 5 cups of marshmallows is 8 oz. So I halved the recipe and there was plenty of fondant. It says that you are suppose to have it set overnight, but I didn't want to wait! I put it in the fridge while I made buttercream frosting and the cake( which ended up taking me an hour because I was talking to my sis). I pulled it out so it could come back to room temp about 10 minutes before the cakes were done.
After letting the cakes cool I put butter cream frosting over the middle and outsides of the cake.

Next I rolled out the fondant to put over the cake. I had to make sure that my table had enough powder sugar though. It started to stick while I was rolling it out which was not fun at all. So if you dare try, make sure you have enough powder sugar and don't be afraid to check under every once in a while.

I really wanted to do cute flowers and I was looking on line and it said I needed gum paste to mix with the fondant. Well I didn't have gum paste so I looked for a recipe for gum paste. Ya I didn't have what was needed. But its okay I didn't have flower cookie cutters either. I did how ever have heart shaped cookie cutters.

Ya I know its not valentines, but hey hearts aren't only for Valentines.

I am very well pleased with it. James came home on his lunch and he thought it looked good, but "Looks don't matter, what matters is how it taste." Well it passed the taste test. He said it tasted somewhat like one of the snow balls with out the coconut on the out side. I of course didn't want it left here at the apt since I had just made a cake last night and still have left overs. I sent it back to work with James. I hope everyone enjoys it :)
I feel accomplished today. Well.....at least with the food, maybe I will take care of the apt tomorrow.
OH YEAH!!! Julie is like totally walking now. She is not just taking 2 steps at a time like my video showed. She can walk down the hall of our apt. more baby proofing here I come.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Awesome job sis! I can't wait for us to start getting our cake decorating stuff!!!

Tyrone I said...

nice, that cake looks professional

Jessica said...

Wow, you are so talented! Way to go!

Jessica said...

Nice cake! I've always wanted to make a cake like that. I just might have to give it a try.

Monty and Kristin said...

So cute!! I'm totally impressed!! keep practicing so you can do some wedding cakes in a few years and save some $$$