Friday, July 1, 2011

Girls Camp


To be honest I only went to Girls Camp as a young woman for 2 years. My very first year was with my old Sacramento ward and my second was with my Spanish Fork ward in Utah. The first year was great and the 2nd year it snowed!!!!

If you were to ask me why I never went to camp again I don't think I would be able to tell you why. I am not sure if it was because I had sports camps that I had to do if I wanted to be on certain teams or if it was because I just decided not to go.

Either way I finally got to go again!! I wanted so badly to go in 2008 with the Inland Empire ward in California, and I was told that it would be fine even if I were to bring Emjae with me. (Emjae was only a couple months old) But later I was told that I couldn't. I was however able to go up one evening and be with the girls, but I know I missed out on so much. Now fast forward to June 20, 2011 and you would have seen me with 3 other leaders 2 priesthood holders and 14 girls setting up camp on Mt Charleston.
Our camp was only about an hour away from were we live, and you might think it is still too hot to be camping, but I think our high was only 84. It was beautiful weather!!!
Our theme was "Arise and Shine Forth....Shoot for the Stars."
 Each day we focused on something we could be just a little better at like more prayers, more steadfast, more loving, more testimony, and more faith. We did 3 hikes, (the 4th years, 2 ycl's, sister Henderson, and I did an extra hike), we made bracelets thanks to our very talented Bishop Whipple, painted blocks and totes, had a snipe hunt, skits, spiritual thoughts and all the other stuff that you do at girls camp.

I enjoyed my time up there. I was able to have more one on one time with girls and to see them in a different way. We all were able to talk and joke around and even have spiritual conversations out side of the spiritual thoughts. While we were up there we had a "Good Jar" and a "Bad Jar." At our fireside every evening we would throw all the papers that were in the "Bad Jar" into the fire, we then would share all the things written in the "Good Jar."
 
One evening a girl had written that she appreciated my knowledge/testimony and hoped to have one as strong as mine. It was very touching or me and I felt honored that someone would think that I had such a knowledge/testimony. I just hope and pray that the girl will be able to not only have what I have but be able to surpass what I am now.

While at camp I did miss my family :) The first night I missed my husband, and by the next morning I missed my girls too. It was nice to have a little bit of a break and to be reminded of how much they mean to me.
Who knows if I will be able to go next year or if I will be needed since it will be stake camp and not ward camp like this year, BUT I would take any opportunity I could get to spend time with the Young Women of the Desert Sage ward. All the good, bad and ugly moments are opportunities to learn, teach and grow. I know that there are some great young women that will make great mothers, leaders, and wives.







No comments: