Thursday, May 26, 2011

Homemade Everything

Yesterday I was informed that the Missionaries dinner plans had been canceled. The family they were suppose to go eat with was sick. So being how I love volunteering and being the Ward Mission Leaders Wife I decided to offer my services.
I wasn't planning on doing anything to great and grand, I was thinking more like hamburger helper, but when I talked to my husband about it.....well for once he didn't want it :) Instead I thought I could do hamburgers, of course it would be my luck that 1. We didn't have any hamburger patties 2. we didn't have any hamburger buns 3. we had all the fixings for them (totally unusual to have them) and 4. I didn't have a working car to run to the store. Oh well, who needs to have those things right? I have flour and ground beef.
That's right I made them!! I found a great recipe for hamburger buns! I'm always a little nervous to try a new recipe because you never really know if it is good or not. So many other people think things taste great and wonderful and it just doesn't get my taste buds jumping for joy. I was brave though and as everyone knows if you want to try something new, try in on the missionaries because they have to eat it! It took a good 2 1/2 hrs or so to make them, but that was do to almost 2 hours of rising time. I started early enough that I timed it perfect.
I have never really made hamburger patties either. I was afraid of those too. I didn't want just a meat patty with no flavor and I didn't want them to shrink down to a hockey puck size and I didn't want to make them to big that they would break and fall apart when I tried to flip them. I found most recipes called for the same things, but the one thing they all called for that I didn't have on hand (it was a theme for the day) was Worcestershire sauce. I improvised again and no I didn't make any of that :) I used bbq sauce instead. I also put some garlic, onion powder and an egg for each pound of meat. As I was doing this I was thinking and praying that my patties didn't turn out to taste like meatloaf.
Everything ended up turning out great!!! Elder Rynne asked if I was going to open up a restaurant and Elder Martinez said they were the best buns he ever tasted.
Needless to say I thought they were pretty amazing too, especially when I toasted the buns on the grill as well. YUMM!!! James wasn't home until we had finished eating so his burger wasn't as hot and fresh, but he still really enjoyed it too.
I wanted to take a picture of my buns and burgers but James took the leftovers with him to work and I didn't get a chance to snap a photo when I was doing it. I guess I am just going to have to do them again....darn it :) There is a photo of what they should look like and the recipe below.

Hamburger Buns
1 1/4 c warm milk
1 1/4 tsp yeast
1/4 c sugar
1 large egg
2 tbsp soft butter
3/4 tsp salt
3 3/4 c flour

Mix yeast, sugar, and warm milk. Set aside for 15 minutes. Scramble egg and add to yeast mixture. Next add soften butter and dry ingredients. Knead for about 3 or 4 minutes, until dough becomes a lighter color. Let rise until doubled, about an hour. Roll out dough to 1" thickness (give or take) cut 3 1/2" circles (I used a wide mouth plastic cup). Place on greased sheet, ( I was able to fit 8 on there staggered) Let rise until doubled again, about an hour. Bake at 350 for 9-15 minutes. Should be a pretty golden color.
The recipe said it makes 12 buns, but I only got 8 and I think it turned out perfect.

4 comments:

The Lyons' said...

oooh! I am so going to try this. We usually use bread, not hamburger buns. But I can so make them homemade! You are amazing!

AGamble said...

Good job! I would never think to make hamburger buns. My mom always made the patties though. She didn't use egg, just ground meat, pepper, and onion & garlic powder. They were always good. I can't stand touching raw ground beef, so I like pre-made patties, but they do not taste as good as mom's burgers.

Courthouse Vacations said...

You are such a molly! Who'd have known? Go girl! I think I would have walked my girls to the store to get buns....but maybe not. Besides, homemade is almost always better and now you know you can do it. And if you can do it, then maybe I will try it some day. You're my hero!

Monty and Kristin said...

Wow Cin!!! You are amazing! Great job solving a problem with your own craftiness! I am so proud to call you my sis!:) Would love to try it. You made me mouth water!