Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Callings are a blessing? Part 1

Before you read this I want everyone to know that this is a frustration post and that I am venting. I truly am grateful for my calling and for the ladies that I work with. I love them and know that we as a Leadership want only the best for the girls in our Ward.
Now, I have been recently called into the Young Women's as a secretary. I was excited and glad to accept this calling. We had only been in the ward for 7 weeks or so and I was ready to be put to work. I was definitely glad that I wasn't called to Primary. I love kids, but I don't want to deal with others kids right now. Have you ever heard the saying "Sunday is a day of rest, UNLESS you have a calling in Primary." So, I knew coming into this calling that I would be learning, but I was not wanting to have to learn patience again! I swear I get this virtue down and then next thing you know I am right back learning it again. (but if I want to be as God then I guess I will learn patience a lot here on Earth)
I can say that I do love my presidency and that I want to do what I am suppose to do so I can support them and help them make their callings easier, but I am having difficulties with that. It's like trying to get along with that one sibling that just erks you. For me that is my brother Trevor and brother in law Alex. I love them to death, but we just don't see eye to eye on things and I have to learn how to approach things with them.
To start off with I have never been a secretary. I like to think I have good organizational skills, but I know that it takes more than organizational skills to be a secretary. Next I don't have a binder. The "Binder" is suppose to have all the role sheets, all the previous notes, all the young womens personal progress charts, all the girls phone numbers, all the girls birthdays, the For the Strength of Youth pamphlet, the manual, and what I think is the most important a guideline as to the responsibilities of a secretary. I have no idea what I am suppose to be doing! I have gotten the roles and list of girls numbers and addresses, but that is it. I am trying to do the best note taking I can, and to follow up with the president, but it seems that she doesn't need me to even do that. Hopefully we are still just learning our rolls and that hopefully she and others will learn that they can rely on me.
Mainly I think my frustration is just stemming from the fact that I don't know what I am suppose to do! Do I give ideas or do I just sit and take notes, do I go to the activities or not, I am not assigned to a class so what do I do for that, am I suppose to be everyone's slave and make copies of class presidencies for each class along with personalized list of numbers for each class? I don't know where I fit in. I am the youngest of the leaders and am feel somewhat of an out cast. I am trying to find the balance were the girls accept me and yet the leaders accept me too. I think I am at a horrible stage in life right now when it comes to the number game and being in a family ward.

3 comments:

Monty and Kristin said...

I know when I was a president of Primary I thought the secretary was the most important job! You'll figure it out. Ask your president what she expects of you. Then you'll know just what she wants.

Vintage Soul said...

When I got my calling, I was given a photocopy of my responsibilities from [I think] the Church Handbook of Responsibilities (the bishop should have one). I'm surprised they don't have it on the church website, but you could probably ask your bishop to look it up for you and make a copy so you know EXACTLY what you should be doing. Plus, like the previous commentor said, just ask the president. :) Here is a resourse for the Young Women Presidency as a whole:
http://lds.org/pa/yw/pdf/YW_Orientation_Handout_Mar2009.pdf

Vintage Soul said...

I meant, Church Handbook of Instructions! oops! ;) And I think what you would be looking for is in the "Young Women," section 4 of the Church Handbook of Instructions, Book 2: Priesthood and Auxiliary Leaders [1998], pg. 217. (Got that much off the website) ;) And I have two friends who are the current YW Presidents (plus my mom was one when I was a Laurel) so I could see if they have that info if you really really want specifics! :) Good luck! You will do great!